Monday 24 June 2013

Hello, I'm marmite!

Yesterday me and Aaron were in the car on the way to his mum and dads talking about the way I talk. He's always taken the mickey out of how I pronounce things because I have quite a Suffolk country bumpkin twang, haha! On top of that, I've grown up in a family that are very lazy when it comes to pronouncing all the letters in words so naturally, I am and sound as far from posh as you can get however I think I am one of the worst in the family! I can't help it, I've always spoken the way I do and it's who I am, what makes me.. me.

I have seen quite a few times over blogs and Twitter, people saying they hate when people don't pronounce words correctly or use "proper" english. In a way it annoys me because I can't help it, I've always done it, everyone around me does it and I'm not willing to pretend to be someone I'm not. Just because you pronounce your words as they should be, does not make you better than me and certainly doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at me and judge me for it. We're all human, we all have feelings.

I might have grown up in a council house, worn hand-me-downs as a kid, done badly at school, not have a job right now and not be well spoken but I'm a decent person - I'm very loving, caring and loyal to all those who treat me the same. If you're good to me, I will always be good to you but it has to work both ways. I'm also very polite, please and thank yous don't hurt anyone and I think these qualities are worth a lot more than how good my speech/english is!

I feel like the people who do judge me and look down their nose at me because of the way I talk are those who are a lot more well to do than I am. "Posh" people, those who have a hell of a lot more money than I'll ever have, those who can afford expensive things.. Those who were brought up into a family that lived very comfortably, bought their house, had a nice car, had good holidays every year.. The kind of people that would never be friends with me in a million years simply because they're more "upper class" if you like.

We've come from different backgrounds and have different futures mapped out. We speak differently, we don't have the same amount of money in the bank and we don't have the same kinds of clothes, holidays or cars but we're both people who deserve not to be judged for anything before you get to know us. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't judge a book by it's cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment