Wednesday 16 January 2013

MUA Make Up Brushes reviewed.

Before Christmas I bought myself a handful of the MUA make up brushes. I didn't use brushes to apply make up before - I'd just use my fingers, nice! - so as they were so reasonably priced (and had 35% off) and I've been impressed with almost everything else I've tried from MUA, I thought I would give them a go!


L-R: F5 - kabuki face and body brush £5, F4 - powder brush £3.75, F1 - Foundation brush £3, F3 - concealer brush £1.95, E3 - blending and shadow brush £1.95, E1 - eyeshadow brush £1.95, L1 - lip brush £1.50.

There are a few more brushes available, however I didn't think I'd want/need them so I didn't order them. Now I have these ones, I do wish I'd bought a couple of the others instead..
My first thoughts when I got these brushes were that they felt a little cheap - they're very light and clink when they touch (it's hard to explain what I mean!) on the plus side, the brushes feel really soft and they're also cruelty free.

I'm not a massive lover of the kabuki brush, it is quite small and the brush is very dense and close together. I use my kabuki brush for applying loose powder but this didn't allow me to spread it properly/evenly. The one I used before (and lost somehow!) was by Gosh and it was bigger with a wider and slightly looser brush which I prefer so will probably buy another one of those.

I really like the powder brush, it is a perfect size and isn't too dense like the kabuki brush. I use it for blush (if I wear it, which isn't often!) and loose powder too - it works much better for me as it seems to spread easier and more evenly.

I'm undecided on the foundation brush, it's not too bad (maybe it's just how I use it!?) but I'm finding that it is takes a while because the brush isn't as big as I'd liked and you have to keep the brush facing one way or it goes tits up.. Or at least it does on my face! If I have enough time then it does make it look good at the end but I do wish I'd got the flat top foundation brush instead.

I haven't had too much use from the concealer brush to be honest but from what I can tell so far, it's good. It's a nice size with soft curved edges - it does it's job and that's all you can really say about that one!

I'm impressed with the blending and shadow brush. I don't have one to compare it to but I've used it enough times to know I like it! It picks up enough product and blends it really well. I used to use my fingers for blending but using a brush has made it a lot easier and generally gives a nicer finish.

I don't like the eyeshadow brush, in fact I've stopped using it already. It doesn't pick up enough product for my liking - I found using them spongey stick things or my finger gave better results which is disappointing because I really wanted to like it. I'm temped to buy the angled eyeshadow brush as it looks better.

The lip brush isn't too bad, it works well. I find using it makes lippy last that little bit longer which is always good. If I had to pick at something then I do wish the brush was a little bit shorter but it hasn't effected the use at all so it's fine.


Overall the brushes are good if you're just getting into make up, on a budget or a standard girl with standard make up needs or in my case, starting to wear more than just mascara and lipgloss! They're not terrible by any means - I am always happy with the end result.
If you're looking for complete perfection though, these may not be for you.
I'd really like some real technique brushes now as I've heard many good things :)

Have you tried these brushes? Which brand do you mostly use?

19 comments:

  1. I wanted to give these a try but I just wasnt sure. Would you repurchase any of these? The RT are great! xox

    The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely repurchase the powder brush and blending brush but probably not the others as they weren't quite good enough in my opinion xx

      Delete
  2. If you're looking for something good but relatively cheap then try the Model's Own brushes. I have the kabuki brush, contour brush and blending sponges (which are dupes for the beauty blender) and they're all really good :)
    xo

    www.jazzyleelbc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'll have to take a look, thank you :) I love their nail polish and mascara! xx

      Delete
  3. i wanted to try some of these, even though you did not like the kabuki brush as much i love my powder to do what that does, im gonna get that and the blending brush that looks great!:)

    http://laurenlovesmakeupxoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think once you have it :) xx

      Delete
  4. I always used my fingers too! I got a foundation brush by real techniques for xmas so use that all the time now but find I use more foundation than before! I want to try the MUA range next - MUA seems to be the only make up I wear recently I'm obsessed, it's so cheap and such good quality!

    www.studdedkisses.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll try the blending brush, the one I have at the moment isn't great.
    Good idea for a review! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you should, they have a 50% sale next week too! xx

      Delete
  6. I've just nominated you for the Liebster Award, read more on my blog :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab review :) I bought these recently too & the powder brush is my favourite x

    www.beautyandlifestylediary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried these. I am currently using the Real Techniques brushes, and I love the stippling brush. It is my fave. I also really want to try Sigma brushes.

    http://thelifeofyouraveragetwenty-something.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really good review. I am tempted to try these brushes as I saw them advertised everywhere!

    www.lookwhatigot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried any MUA brushes. I actually recently ordered from them and there were a lot of issues with the site because of the 50% off offer. I hope I'll get my order. :) I use Real Techniques a lot and a buffer brush from Coastal Scents and also some Sephora and Mac brushes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want these to try! I can't afford expensive brushes!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been itching to see these reviewed! :) absolutely love your blog, now following :)

    Latasha x | Le Powder Room

    ReplyDelete